These Chilli Tuna Balls are the ultimate crowd pleaser, served hot and crispy with sweet chilli or homemade tzatziki. The mixture can be refrigerated for three days before using, or cooked in large batches and had cold or reheated. Making for the perfect simple, summer snack.
Makes: Approximately 20 balls
- 8 – 10 potatoes
- 2 red onions
- 3 large cans of chilli tuna
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful of coriander or parsley
- 1 handful of basil
- Pepper (add to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of chilli (add to taste)
- 3 – 4 eggs
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying (optional)
1. Peel, boil, drain and mash potatoes.
2. Remove any large chunks of chilli from the cans of tuna. Drain chilli oil into the mashed potato and use a fork to break up the chunks of tuna while adding it to the potato mix.
3. Mince garlic and dice onion, then add it to the mixture.
4. Roughly chop herbs, adding them to the mix and stirring thoroughly.
5. Add chilli and pepper to taste.
6. Take heaped teaspoons of the mixture and roll them into balls. Dip balls in egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
7. There are multiple methods that may be used to cook the chilli tuna balls. You may fry them in a pan with a shallow amount of oil, turning them as they begin to brown and crisp. I prefer to use an air fryer, this method is not only healthier but requires minimal monitoring and smaller clean up. If using an air fryer set the temperature to 200 degrees and cook in small batches for approximately 15 minutes or until golden and crisp, shaking basket to rotate balls every five minutes.