While I often use this sauce with pasta or spiralised zucchini, this mixture can be paired with a number of dishes. With a baked potato, crumbed eggplant, falafels, on toast with a poached egg or even as a dip with Turkish or pita bread. While this recipe contains simple, versatile ingredients, jarred artichoke, eggplant and chorizo may also be used to add flavour.
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 small brown onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of capers
- 1/3 of a cup of black olives
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 handful of fresh coriander or parsley
- 1 tablespoon of chilli flakes
1. Roughly dice onion and mince garlic, sauté in fry pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
2. Cut olives in half and roughly chop herbs.
3. Add tomato, capers, olives, balsamic and chilli. Cook until reduced.
4. Stir through herbs for five minutes over low heat and serve.